Website building is all about visibility. When your website designer is putting together your website, you need to ensure you do not commit any mistake that will cost you your existence on the Web. It is as important to do things right when you are website building as it is to avoid committing major mistakes. Here is a list with some of the most critical don’ts if you are aiming to achieve optimal visibility on the Web.
1. Don’t use Flash – unless it is strictly necessary. This slows down the loading of the page and you risk losing valuable leads. If you must use Flash, ensure that it is as small as it can be to serve your purpose.
2. Don’t date the pages of your website – It might look cool to date content when you are website building, but in the long run you will soon discover it is a bad idea. Unless you keep updating daily, weekly or even monthly, the website would soon seem outdated kodulehe valmistamine just because of the date it bears.
3. Don’t activate automatic date-change feature – Some browsers send emails to those who bookmark sites whenever things are added or changed. In this case, whenever the date changes (every day) the browser would send an alert. Very soon, your site would be de-bookmarked to escape from the ‘false alerts.’
4. Don’t add background sound/automatic play video on your site – Some people browse at night when children have gone to bed, or in the office when they have some free time; introducing automatic sound while website building would startle people and force them shut down the website just to escape from the noise.
5. Don’t deviate from standard fonts – Times/Courier/ Arial/ Verdana. Using any fancy font would mean sudden gibberish insertions on your visitor’s computer where that font does not exist.
6. Don’t be shy to outsource – You cannot do it all. You cannot have all the expertise required for website building. There will be times you could do better than anyone else; but in most cases you need to outsource as much as you can. Seek quality above anything else; outsource to experts so you can have built the best there could be.
7. Don’t flood the inbox of your opt-in members with emails – Send promotional email to your customers no more than twice a month or you will risk deletion by your customer.
Website building is not only the process of putting together a great website for your business, but also a method to ensure the highest possible visibility for your site.
Start with a clear direction on what you are doing. You are building a website for your visitors; in other words, the website building process should be externally oriented. Here are a few critical tips that will help you enjoy the highest of visibility.
1. Do design your site for 800×600 pixel monitors to ensure that your visitors would never need to scroll horizontally.
2. Do use cascading style sheets in your website building. This makes your site compatible with PDA browsers and cell phones. It will also ensure that your site looks the same on almost all browsers.
3. Do freeze the navigation task bar on all pages. This will ensure that the visitor never “gets lost” while browsing.
4. Do ensure that your website building uses exclusively intuitive navigation’s. The easier you make it for your visitors to navigate, the better chances you have to make a sale.
5. Do keep your images compressed to 60% or less. There is nothing more annoying than a slow loading page. Use only as many as is necessary; too many and your website building would look and feel clumsy.
6. Do use appropriate title and alt tags for all your images for the search engines to “see” you.
7. Do use page descriptions, meta tags and niche keywords to enable the search engine to find you.
8. Do add useful content regularly. An important part of website building is regular updating of quality content. For example, if you are a professional photographer, have an article on how to click the best baby photographs or how to capture your pets best.
9. Do ensure that the links to all your inside pages are relative. In this way, when and if you move the site from one server to another, you would not have broken links.
10. Do incorporate a way to get people to sign your opt-in list. For example, have an excellent giveaway or allow a free query. This is a key element in your website building; the growth of your business depends on the growth of your opt-in list.
11. Do keep checking on how your website looks even after the website building process is long over. Too many times, things go wrong on the website and it remains unreported and damaging until it is discovered by chance.